YMCA Colorado Youth in Government Program
Sponsored By: (Name of Student, School)_______
Committee Action: _________________________
AN ACT TO: (TITLE SHOULD BE TYPED IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS)
Every law should embrace only one subject and that should be expressed in the title. Make the title as concise as possible, but broad enough to clearly indicate the scope of the bill.
Be it enacted by the 2016 YMCA Model Legislature of the State of Colorado
Section 1. Definitions
In complete sentences, define any word or phrase used in your (2) title that might be subject to confusion or result in unnecessary debate.
Section 2. Purpose
The purpose simply explains why you consider the bill necessary.
Section 3. Provisions
This is the most important part of your bill. In complete (2) sentences, explain exactly what you want to happen and how. The (3) provisions should implement the intent of the bill’s sponsor. The law should be written (4) in the present tense.
Section 4. Penalty Clause
This clause is necessary if your bill makes something illegal.
(2) Crimes are classed into two major categories: felonies and misdemeanors. A crime is a (3) felony if so designated by law or if it is punishable by imprisonment for one year or (4) more. A crime is a misdemeanor if so designated by law or if it is punishable by (5) imprisonment for less than one year.
Section 5. Appropriations Clause
This clause is necessary if your bill requires the (2) expenditure of money. If the appropriations of money is coming from an existing state (3) fund, specify:
(4) a. The amount of money to be appropriated.
(5) b. The fund from which the appropriation will be made.
(6) c. The agency or fund to which the money is to be allocated.
(7) If the appropriations of money is coming from receipts of a special tax or fee or other (8) earmarked source of revenue, specify:
(9) a. The fees, special tax or other revenue source
(10) b. The agency or fund to which the receipts are appropriated.
Section 6. Enactment Clause
Enactment clauses tell when the bill will become effective.
(2) Examples include: This bill will become effective upon the Governor’s signing it. This bill (3) will become effective 90 days after signature by the Governor.
Section 7. Safety Clause
The YMCA Model General Assembly hereby finds, determines (2) and declares that this Act is necessary for the preservation of public health, peace and (3) safety.
NOTE: ALL BILLS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN A WORD DOCUMENT FORMAT. USE THE BILL FORMAT WHEN CREATING YOUR FINAL DRAFT
When possible, use 12 pitch type. Leave a one inch margin around entire document.